Ganga Mahal Ghat
The Narayan dynasty, in 1830, constructed a palace by the river Ganga in Varanasi. The palace was called "Ganga Mahal" (Mahal means palace in Hindi). Since the Mahal (palace) was housed on the ghat, the ghat was named "Ganga Mahal Ghat". Stone steps between Assi Ghat and Ganga Mahal Ghat separates the two ghats. This palace houses the design studio of Hemang Agrawal whereas the upper floors are used by the "Indo-Swedish Study Centre" organised by Karlstad University.
Ganga Mahal Ghat is named after a palation building of ex. Maharaja of Banaras to wards the northern end of Asi ghat. Infact Ghat has a little cultural significance except the Beautiful carvings depiction the Rajput and local architectural grandeur of 16th cent. A.D. However the palace was built in the first half of 20th cent. A.D.